Cufflinks are a small yet powerful accessory that can transform any ordinary dress shirt into an elegant outfit. They add an element of sophistication to your attire and are a must-have for any formal event.
In this article, we will discuss formal cufflinks for men, including how to select and wear them.
Formal cufflinks are small decorative fasteners that are used to fasten the cuffs of dress shirts. They are typically made of precious metals such as gold, silver, or platinum, and adorned with precious stones or engravings.
COPYRIGHT_BER: Published on https://www.bernardine.com/formal-cufflinks-for-men/ by Johnny K. on 2023-04-26T07:10:09.219Z
Formal cufflinks are an essential accessory for formal events such as black-tie galas, weddings, and business meetings.
Selecting the right cufflinks is crucial to ensure that they complement your outfit and add to your overall look. Here are some tips to help you select the perfect formal cufflinks:
- Consider the Event - The first thing to consider when selecting formal cufflinks is the event you will be attending. If it is a black-tie event, opt for simple and understated cufflinks. If it is a wedding, you can opt for cufflinks with a bit more personality, such as those with a subtle design or a pop of color.
- Match the Metal with Other Accessories - If you are wearing a watch or a tie clip, try to match the metal of the cufflinks with the metal of the other accessories.
- Choose a Complementary Color - If you are opting for colored cufflinks, choose a color that complements your shirt or tie. For example, if your shirt is blue, choose cufflinks with a blue accent.
- Keep it Simple - When in doubt, opt for simple and understated cufflinks. They will add a touch of elegance to your outfit without overpowering it.
How To Combine & Pair Cufflinks with Shirts, Suits & Ties
Now that you have selected the perfect cufflinks for your outfit, it is time to learn how to wear them. Here is a step-by-step guide to wearing formal cufflinks:
- Put on Your Dress Shirt - Start by putting on your dress shirt and fastening all the buttons, except for the cuffs.
- Insert the Cufflink Through the Buttonhole - Next, take one cufflink and insert it through the buttonhole on one side of the cuff.
- Secure the Cufflink - Once the cufflink is through the buttonhole, flip the bar of the cufflink so that it is perpendicular to the cuff. This will secure the cufflink in place.
- Repeat on the Other Side - Repeat the same process on the other side of the cuff with the second cufflink.
- Adjust - Once both cufflinks are in place, adjust them so that they sit parallel to the cuff and are facing the same direction.
- Finish Getting Dressed - Finish getting dressed and admire your perfectly accessorized outfit.
Cufflinks are no longer just for formal events. With a variety of styles and designs, they can be versatile accessories to incorporate into your everyday wardrobe. In this article, we'll explore how to take your cufflinks from formal to casual.
Suit Accessories For Men | Formal Dress Tips
Before diving into how to wear cufflinks casually, let's review the basics of cufflinks. Cufflinks are decorative fasteners that are used to secure the cuffs of dress shirts.
They come in a variety of styles, including chain links, bar links, and stud links. Cufflinks can be made from a variety of materials, including precious metals, enamel, and even wood.
When it comes to incorporating cufflinks into your everyday wardrobe, it's essential to choose the right style and material. Here are some tips to match cufflinks to your casual wardrobe:
- Choose a Casual Style - Opt for more casual styles such as novelty designs, colorful enamel, or even cufflinks made from wood or leather.
- Consider the Material - Look for cufflinks made from materials such as stainless steel or titanium that are durable and can withstand everyday wear and tear.
- Match the Color and Style - Choose cufflinks that match the style and color of your outfit. For example, if you're wearing a casual button-down shirt, opt for cufflinks with a more relaxed vibe.
Now that you've chosen the right cufflinks for your casual wardrobe, it's time to learn how to wear them casually. Here are some tips to consider:
- Keep it Simple - When wearing cufflinks casually, it's essential to keep it simple. Avoid overly flashy or formal styles and opt for more understated designs.
- Mix and Match - Don't be afraid to mix and match your cufflinks with other accessories such as bracelets or watches.
- Pair with the Right Outfit - Cufflinks can be worn with a variety of casual outfits, including button-down shirts, polo shirts, and even t-shirts.
- Wear with Confidence - Finally, the key to wearing cufflinks casually is to wear them with confidence. When you feel good about what you're wearing, it shows.
Cufflinks are a valuable accessory in any man's wardrobe, and it's essential to keep them clean and well-maintained to ensure their longevity. Here are some tips for cleaning and storing your cufflinks:
- Cleaning Cufflinks - Cufflinks can be cleaned using a soft-bristled brush, such as a toothbrush, and a mild detergent. Be sure to avoid harsh chemicals or abrasives that can damage the metal or finish.
- Polishing Cufflinks - After cleaning, use a soft cloth to polish the cufflinks gently. You can also use a jewelry polishing cloth to restore the luster of your cufflinks.
- Storing Cufflinks - When storing your cufflinks, it's essential to keep them in a dry and cool place. Avoid storing them in direct sunlight, as this can cause discoloration or damage to the metal.
- Separate Cufflinks - Keep your cufflinks separate from other jewelry to prevent scratching or damage to the finish.
- Use a Jewelry Box - Consider investing in a jewelry box with compartments to keep your cufflinks organized and protected.
There are several types of cufflinks, including:
- Bullet Back - These cufflinks have a small cylinder that flips to secure them in place.
- Whale Back - These cufflinks have a flat, whale-like shape that swivels to secure them in place.
- Chain Link - These cufflinks have a chain that connects the two ends and can be adjusted to fit any size cuff.
- Stud Button - These cufflinks have a button-like fastener that is threaded through the buttonholes on the cuff.
Cufflinks can be worn with most dress shirts that have French cuffs. However, it is not recommended to wear cufflinks with shirts that have button cuffs. Additionally, it is essential to ensure that the cufflinks match the style and color of the dress shirt and tie.
To maintain the luster and shine of your cufflinks, it is essential to clean and store them properly. Here are some tips for cleaning and maintaining cufflinks:
- Use a Jewelry Polishing Cloth - To clean your cufflinks, use a jewelry polishing cloth to remove any dirt or residue.
- Avoid Contact with Chemicals - Avoid exposing your cufflinks to chemicals such as perfume, hairspray, or cleaning products, as they can cause damage or discoloration.
- Store in a Safe Place - Store your cufflinks in a safe place such as a jewelry box or a soft pouch to prevent scratches or damage.
- Get Professional Cleaning - If your cufflinks are heavily tarnished or dirty, consider taking them to a professional jeweler for cleaning.
While cufflinks are typically associated with formal events, they can also be worn casually. However, it is essential to choose the right type of cufflinks and ensure that they match the style of your outfit. For example, you can opt for more casual cufflinks such as novelty designs or those made from wood or leather.
Formal cufflinks are a timeless accessory that can elevate any outfit to the next level. When selecting and wearing cufflinks, it is essential to consider the event, match the metal with other accessories, choose a complementary color, and keep it simple.
With these tips and a bit of practice, you can easily master the art of wearing cufflinks and add a touch of elegance to any formal outfit.