This diamondcut features a boat-shaped outline with pointed ends, often referred to as a football-shaped cut.
Its elongated shape creates a flattering and elongating effect on the finger, making it a popular choice for those who desire a ringwith a distinctive look.
The history of the marquise-cut diamond can be traced all the way back to the 18th century. This particular shape has been around for quite some time.
The Marquise de Pompadour, a French noblewoman who served as King Louis XV's mistress, is the inspiration for the place's name.
The lip-like shape of the cut was designed from the beginning to be reserved exclusively for royals to the sport.
Engagement Ring Guide: Marquise Cut Rings
Choosing the perfect Marquise cut diamond engagement ring can seem overwhelming, but with these simple steps, you can make the process much easier:
- Determine your budget- Knowing how much you can spend will help you narrow down your options and prevent overspending.
- Choose your desired carat weight- Marquise cut diamondscome in a variety of carat weights, from small and delicate to large and bold. Decide on the size that best fits your personal preference and budget.
- Select your desired color and clarity- Marquise cut diamonds are graded on their color and clarity, with higher grades indicating a more pure and brilliant diamond. Choose the grade that fits your budget and the desired look.
- Choose your preferred setting- Marquise cut diamonds can be set in a variety of settings, from classic solitaires to more elaborate designs. Consider your personal style and desired level of complexity.
- Try on different styles- Once you have a general idea of what you want, try on different styles to see which looks best on your hand and fits your personal style.
As with any diamond cut, Marquise cut diamond engagement ringshave both pros and cons to consider before making a purchase.
- Elongating effect- The elongated shape of the Marquise cut diamond creates a flattering and elongating effect on the finger, making it a popular choice for those who want to make their fingers look longer.
- Unique shape- The Marquise cut diamond's unique shape sets it apart from other diamond cuts, making it a perfect choice for those who want a ring with a distinctive look.
- High carat weight appearance- The Marquise cut diamond has a larger surface area than other diamond cuts of the same carat weight, giving the illusion of a higher carat weight diamond.
- Bowtie effect- The Marquise cut diamond is known for having a "bowtie" effect, where dark shadows form in the center of the diamond, resembling a bowtie. This effect can be minimized with proper cutting, but it's something to keep in mind when considering this diamond cut.
- Prone to chipping- The pointed ends of the Marquise cut diamond can make it more prone to chipping than other diamond cuts, making it important to choose a setting that offers proper protection.
- Requires skilled cutting- The Marquise cut diamond requires a high level of skill and precision cutting to achieve its unique shape and brilliance, making it more expensive than other diamond cuts.
When it comes to choosing an engagement ring, many couples want a piece that is not only beautiful but also worth the investment. One style that fits this bill is the Marquise cut diamond engagement ring.
Here are some reasons why this particular style of diamond is worth the investment.
All There is to Know About Marquise Cut Diamonds
One of the most distinguishing characteristics of a diamond with a Marquise cut is its elongated shape, which lends the stone a one-of-a-kind and striking appearance.
When compared to other diamond cuts of the same carat weight, its shape makes the diamond appear to have a bigger carat weight than it actually does. For instance, a one-carat diamond with a marquise cut will appear to be larger than a one-carat diamond with a round cut.
Because of this, the marquise cut diamond is a good choice for people who want a larger-looking diamond but don't want to pay the greater price that comes with purchasing a larger carat weight.
Diamonds cut in the shape of a marquise are a less popular style than other cuts, such as the round or princess cut. Because of this, it is an excellent option for individuals who are looking for an engagement ring that stands out from the crowd.
Because of its extended design, the marquise cut diamond is a style that looks good on a variety of hand sizes and shapes.
Despite being a unique and distinctive style, the Marquise cut diamond has a timeless and classic appeal that has been popular for centuries. This makes it a great choice for those who want a piece of jewelrythat will never go out of style.
Diamonds with a marquise cut are quite adaptable, both in terms of style and placement.
They can be mounted in a variety of ways, such as a solitaire, halo, or three-stone setting, and they can be combined with a range of metals, such as white gold, yellow gold, or platinum. In addition, they can be set in a variety of ways.
Because of its versatility, an engagement ring can be personalized so that it perfectly complements the wearer's sense of style and character.
Marquise cut diamonds, much like other high-quality diamonds, have the potential to be valuable in the secondary market.
Although the price of a diamond can change based on a number of factors, such as its quality and how rare it is, the price of a Marquise cut diamond that is well-cut and of good quality can remain relatively constant over time.
Because of this, it is an excellent choice for people who are interested in purchasing a piece of jewelry that has the ability to maintain or even increase in value over time.
The best setting for a Marquise cut diamond engagement ring is a V-shaped prong setting. This setting protects the pointed ends of the diamond while allowing maximum light to enter and reflect off the diamond, enhancing its brilliance.
Yes, Marquise cut diamonds can be customized to fit a specific style. With the help of a skilled jeweler, you can create a unique and personalized engagement ring that perfectly fits your preferences and style.
To care for your Marquise cut diamond engagement ring, it's important to:
- Clean it regularly with a soft-bristled brush and mild soap and water to remove dirt and oil buildup.
- Avoid wearing the ring during activities that could damage the diamond, such as sports or heavy manual labor.
- Store the ring in a soft cloth or jewelry boxto prevent scratches and damage.
When buying a Marquise cut diamond engagement ring, you should look for:
- A well-cut diamond with minimal bowtie effect and excellent symmetry.
- A high-quality setting that protects the pointed ends of the diamond.
- A reputable jeweler can provide certifications and information about the diamond's quality and characteristics.
Marquise cut diamond engagement ringsare a beautiful and unique choice for those seeking an elegant and distinctive ring. With their elongated shape and high-carat weight appearance, they are sure to make a statement on any finger.
By considering the pros and cons of this diamond cut, choosing the perfect setting, and taking proper care of the ring, you can enjoy the beauty and brilliance of your Marquise cut diamond engagement ring for years to come.