Our senses can pick up an infinite number of fragrance notes and combinations. There are so many that we could not possibly identify and describe all of them without some kind of system to differentiate them. To make the process more manageable for perfume connoisseurs and consumers, scents fall under a classification system known as fragrance families. When shopping for a new Carolina Herrera perfume, it is helpful to understand your fragrance family preference.
The fragrance classification system and corresponding fragrance wheel were developed by Michael Edwards, a fragrance expert who recognized the need for an objective method of classifying consumer scent preferences. Fragrances are classified based on similarities and differences to highlight their relationships to each other. Fragrance families are divided into four categories, and each category has its own set of subfamilies. People are generally drawn to a specific scent family, so it is helpful to understand the options and potential combinations when looking for a personal fragrance.
The floral fragrance family is one of the broadest scent groups and is utilized frequently in women's perfumes and some men's as well. These scents generally have a fresh-cut flowers smell that can be based on a single flower or a bouquet of blended blooms. Good Girl is one Carolina Herrera perfume that fits into the floral family of scents. Floral subcategories include:
- Floral: including jasmine, lily, and rose
- Floral oriental: including spicy scents like orange blossom
- Soft florals: including nostalgic, sweet, powdery, musky florals like lavender and violet
The fresh family of fragrances includes bright, clean scents that are often reminiscent of the ocean or forest, and are frequently utilized in men's fragrances. When combined with spicy notes, a more robust scent is created. Subfamilies include:
- Aromatic: fresh, clean, and simple scents that often feature rosemary, basil, and lavender, often with woody notes like cedar
- Citrus: bright, zesty fragrances including bergamot, citrus, orange, and grapefruit
- Green: herbal and leafy scents that evoke feelings of a forest path or a freshly mowed lawn
- Water: include fresh, clean oceanic and aquatic notes
The amber fragrance family features prominent scents from the East. These exotic scents are often described as seductive and opulent and include such spicy, aromatic fragrances as frankincense, myrrh, and vanilla. Bad Boy GoldFantasy is one Carolina Herrera perfume in this fragrance family. Subfamilies include:
- Ambery: include musky cinnamon, resin, or vanilla notes
- Soft ambery: blend with anise and florals
- Woody ambery: earthy and sweet fragrances like patchouli
Woody fragrances are typically warm, with incense-like scents like cedar, patchouli, and sandalwood. These fragrances sometimes utilize fresh notes of floral or citrus to cool off the underlying warm tones. Bad Boy Cobalt Eau de Parfum is an example of a Carolina Herrera perfume in the woody scent family. Subfamilies include:
- Dry woods: smoky, leathery notes combine with rich woods like sandalwood
- Mossy woods: mellow, earthy, and smooth aromas
- Aromatic: combines wood tones with fresh scents like lavender
LaBelle Perfumes has a wide variety of perfumes from all the fragrance families available at a discounted price. Check out their selection of Carolina Herrera perfume!